2020 has been difficult for every family in the Dulwich College Shanghai Puxi community. I would like to express my personal thanks to each and every one of you for your support of the College during this year. I am honoured to serve as your Head of College and I am highly motivated to do my best for your children.
Our College community continues to grow despite the challenges of COVID-19. We can take pride in celebrating the following highlights:
- Grade A – our first IGCSE result set the bar high for future students.
- Gold – our Senior School Mathematicians excelled in the UK Mathematics Trust (UKMT) Junior Mathematical Challenge with two students achieving Gold and a further four achieving Bronze.
- Distinction – our Junior School students demonstrated the quality of their public speaking skills in the English Speaking Board examinations with multiple students achieving Distinction.
- The College has been accredited as an official SAT Testing centre.
- The College has initiated accreditation with the prestigious Council of International Schools (CIS) and Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), enabling us to award American High School Diplomas.
- The College successfully completed its IB consultant’s visit in November, the penultimate step in achieving full accreditation for the IB Diploma.
Dulwich College Shanghai Puxi teachers go the extra mile for the students in their care. We are proud of our dedicated teachers who returned to Shanghai in March to welcome our students back to campus in person. They are reflective professionals, and I would like to congratulate the 8 members of staff who have successfully completed the Assessment Lead programme with the Cambridge University’s Evidence Based Education team.
We were delighted to be selected as a finalist for Best Employer at the British Business Awards. We invest in our staff so that we can attract and retain the best teachers for our students.
We are the first school in Shanghai to work with Century Tech, a tried and tested intelligent intervention tool that combines learning science, AI and neuroscience. It provides highly responsive and personalised learning for each student and provides valuable feedback to teachers. We trialed Century Tech with our Year 10 and 11 students. They found it so useful that we are now making it available to every student in the Senior School.
Making a Difference
In the midst of a global pandemic, our community has stayed true to its values. From funding a forest of 1000 trees in northern China to sponsoring the Veal Reyoung School in rural Cambodia, we are making a positive impact in the world around us. We are committed to using our privilege for good.
Please be assured that we are not remotely complacent. We believe that getting better never stops and we will continue to aim high and work hard for your children in 2021. I look forward to welcoming everyone back to school next Monday.
In the meantime, Happy New Year! I wish you and your family health and happiness in the year ahead.